Saturday, March 8, 2014

March 7

I'm not feeling it today. I took a gander at OK Cupid matches and was severely underwhelmed. And since none of the people I wrote yesterday have, surprisingly, not taken it upon themselves to send me a note in return, I am just not feeling up to writing any notes today. This could, of course, change. Anything is possible.

I am going to add something to my profiles. I doubt it will help, but one never knows. Does everyone know the parable that goes something like this:

One day a man was listening to the radio and heard flood warnings for his town. He said, I am not afraid, God will take care of me. Later, a policeman knocked on his door and told him he should evacuate to higher ground because of the flood. He answered, I am not afraid, God will take care of me. The rain started raining and the flood waters started rising. The street in front of his house (and his first floor) was flooded. He was on the roof over his porch. A man in a canoe paddled by and offered to paddle him to safety. He called out, I am not afraid, God will take care of me. Later still, the waters rose higher. He climbed to the roof. A powerboat came by and offered to take him to safety. He shouted out, I am not afraid, God will take care of me. The waters rose even higher so the man climbed his chimney. A helicopter flew by and offered to fly him to safety. He yelled at the top of his lungs, I am not afraid, God will take care of me. The waters continued to rise and eventually the man drowned. In the afterlife he came to God and said - God, I was firm in my faith. Why didn't you save me? God responded - who do you think sent the radio message, the policeman, the canoe, the motorboat and the helicopter?!

So I am going to adapt it to:
Once upon a time, a woman was hoping to find love, so she joined an online dating service. She said, I  know I will find a good man, the Universe will provide him. Later, she got an email in her in box. A nice note, nothing too exciting, but good grammar, showing a little thought. She looked at his profile and thought - too old! - and didn't respond. She said to herself, I know I will find a thoughtful and witty man, the Universe will provide him. The next day she got another message - a thoughtful note with a little bit of wit that actually made her laugh out loud. She looked at his profile and thought - too far away! - and didn't respond. She said to herself, I know I will find a man who will be a great and loving partner to me, the Universe will provide him. The next day she got yet another email, full of nice thoughts and interesting observations that seemed great and even loving - she looked at his profile - he's not my type! - and didn't respond. Eventually the woman ended up alone or with the same type of man who she always had chosen in the past and ended up miserable in love. In the afterlife she lamented her state and said, Universe, why didn't you send me a good, thoughtful, witty, loving man? The Universe responded - who do you think sent the man who wrote those great email messages?!

Is it a sign of liking someone to think when looking at a pile of culled, sorted-out, "magically delicious" charms, "I'd share those with her?"

No comments:

Post a Comment